Monday, November 7, 2011

November 7, 2011


November 7
Well its been a couple of days and not much exciting has occurred.  I arrived at Zion and took nice hikes on the western edge and in the main canyon.  The weather was falling apart the whole time I was there and by the time I left for Bryce it was snowing.  That was two days ago, and it finally stopped an hour ago at 4:30.  Needless to say photography was rather sketchy and yesterday at Bryce they closed the main park road and the few views were, well I have a picture.  I will say Utah does a nice job of maintaining its roads during the snow.  This is clearly not the tourist season here.  I have not made a reservation and even the lodges in the parks have rooms available.
I am now located at a hotel in Torrey, Utah, gateway to Capitol Reef and the Canyon Lands.  I drove through blinding snow this mornning to get here through some of the most beautiful mountain scenery I could not see.  However, the stark and bleak beauty of the snow was still very nice.
So here are a few observations.  The less expensive the hotel the more amenities you get.  Last night was the topper.  Free internet, free cable, two heavy terry cloth bathrobes, three sets of shampoo, etc., and free hot breakfast, from eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, french toast, fruit, juices, coffee, and a very large room...$70.
Speaking of free shampoo, soap and conditioner.  Here is a list of additives found in these products, presumably these are good things...sunflower and grapefruit essences, bamboo creme, chamomile and nettle, rosemary and heather, aloe, wild figs and ivy.  This must mean something.
Road out of Bryce

Zion

View of Canyon Lands

Canyon Lands on way to Capitol Reef

More pics will follow tomorrow.

1 comment: